Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Growing Up

Macayla is growing up. She is 7 years old, but she is already experiencing some of the "changes" so this week during a doctor's visit we decided we would talk to an endocrinologist. We would like to prevent Macayla from having her menses if possible so that she does not experience all of the discomfort and pain associated with it. Some have found such treatment controversial in other cases. Usually the ones speaking out against it do not have a special needs, brain-damaged child. Macayla is 7 but in many ways functions on the same level as a 2 month old. She has a limited time left and plenty of discomfort and pain to go through. So, if we can minimize or remove any of that pain and discomfort, we will.
Still, it is hard for me as her Dad to sometimes deal with all these "girl" things. Jennifer laughs at me a good bit, but hey, I'm a guy. Womanhood is still a mystery to me on so many levels. Honestly, I thought we would never see the day when Macayla would go through this, but as it turns out many kids with brain disorders can start early and in some cases they can start really late. I guess we get the early category. I'll update as soon as we learn what endocrinology can do. This will be a learning experience.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff-
    I just want you to know that you and your whole family are in my prayers. I pray the endocrinologist has the answers you need to help Macayla. Stay strong!!

    Traci Allen Hughes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Smoaks-
    I think of your family so often.
    Know that you are in my prayers.
    Give my love to Jacob and Makayla.
    Mrs. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen newsreports about things such as you are talking about. My reaction was similar to yours: the critics must have no personal experience in caring for a child for whom these are concerns. Your love for her will guide you.

    ReplyDelete