Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Thursday, July 09, 2009

I Don't Think I Can Do This!

Jacob will be baptized this Sunday. He and I talked about it and I told him what to expect and he was very interested in how he will go under the water. So, we have spoken about it several times over the past couple of weeks. I will also be preaching this weekend and I have been preparing my sermon. Jacob walked into the den today where I was pacing and reading my sermon.
Jacob asked what I was doing and I explained that I was preaching this Sunday. He asked, "You mean this Sunday? When I get baptized?" I told him yes. He asked, "Are you going to talk about baptism?" I told him yes, that in fact I was. Because of what he and I had talked about before he asked, "So, while we are standing in the water you will say all of this stuff?"
I responded, "Yes. I will dip you into the water and while you are under I'll preach my sermon. It should only be about 30 minutes."
Jacob pondered that for about a second, then his eyes grew wide, "While I'm under the water?! I don't think I can do this!"
I reassured him I'll do all my yapping before we get into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment