Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wish I had One of those Star Trek Thingies!

Star Trek came on in the afternoons when I was a kid. I can't remember which of the three channels it aired on, but I loved watching it. Dr. McCoy always carried a little medical scanner with him on trips down to the planet surface. It could diagnose any problem without surgery or invasion of the patient. I wish I had one of those!

Macayla is doing well over all, but I must admit that my definition of "well" is not fixed. For her, "well" means she has not thrown up or had many seizures and her breathing is good. She has been a bit more interactive the last couple of days, but that tends to increase seizure activity. One interesting observation: she gets a twitch in her right thumb anytime she has a seizure, reacts to stimulus or her facial expression changes. Her face still goes back and forth from pale to flush at times. Her cough reflex seems weaker and the swelling that was in her feet seems to be more in her legs now but not as pronounced. Her left hip is going in and out of joint, though it does not seem to be causing much discomfort at this point. All of this is why I wish I had Dr. McCoy's medical scanner thingie! I wish I could just see what is happening on the inside, measure pain and discomfort, and know better what helps and what hurts. But we will be waiting a while on those. In the meantime, prayer, hugs, kisses and medications are all we have.

So many sci-fi movies last century predicted we would be traveling in big cruisers to other planets by 2010. We are a little behind schedule. But I think we should develop all of the Star Trek gadgets before we build a starship. Give me a medical scanner thingie and a phaser! Ooh, and a "tricorder" and a transporter and a...

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could twitch my nose like Samantha Stevens and get the house cleaned, laundry done, and dinner on the table. Still praying for you guys, love you all! It would be nice to know what our kids were feeling.

    Michelle Johnson

    ReplyDelete