Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Wisdom of Bob Barker

Bob Barker always ends the Price Is Right gameshow with the sage advice to spay or neuter our pets. As it turns out, we don't have any pets. So, Jenny and I figured I was the next best thing to a pet. I can be messy and at times I shed, but in my defense I have yet to chew up a pair of shoes. Anyway, we decided that I should get a vasectomy. It is hard emotionally to decide not to have children anymore, but we don't want to take the chance of plaguing another child with Batten's Disease. I was more prepared emotionally for the decision than Jennifer. If we decide to bring more children into our family it will be through adoption.
The recovery was described to me by multiple men who had gone before me down this path of sterility. "Oh, man, I maybe took one or two of my pain pills and I was fine after that." Or, "I had mine on Friday and was normal by Monday." My personal favorite, "You'll ONLY feel a tug." I felt a tug alright!! It felt like a tugboat was pulling me off the table!! I almost came off the table and the doctor was worried I was going to grab him. After the procedure at 5:30 on Friday afternoon, Jenny drove me home and as we neared the house, I felt a huge wave of nausea. We pulled into the driveway and I passed out. We assumed this was due to the pain and adrenaline from the LITTLE "tug" I had just felt at the doctor's office. We went inside and I laid down in the bed and watched a movie until about 10:30. I decided to try to use the bathroom before I went to sleep, so I got up to go and took only a few steps when pain shot through my abdomen and nausea swept over me. I turned toward the bed and the next thing I know is there are paramedics in my bedroom.
Jenny explained that I had passed out again and that I had a seizure. I've never had a seizure before. It was midnight before I was truly alert again and then the waves of pain started. It took morphine to ease it off. We left the ER at 7 a.m. with really no answers except that the passing out and seizure could have been caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure. My doctor and the ER doctor both stated that seizures can happen that way. As far as the severe abdominal pain, we have no idea. It is Tuesday and it still hurts. We are going to see the doctor tomorrow to see if he has any ideas. So much for, "I had mine on Friday and was back to normal by Monday." So, we hope to find out what would cause continuous pain in my abdomen accompanied with waves of stabbing pain.
In the meantime, we are so thankful for all of the help we are receiving from Jennifer's parents, friends and neighbors. We couldn't take care of the kids without them. God has moved people to bring us meals unbeknownst to them that our oven also quit working this week. He certainly provides. I do pray He will provide some answers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment