Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Father of the Bride

I recently listened to Jenny describe to someone how precious it was that her father was still alive to dance with her at our wedding. As she described that, I realized anew that I would not have that dance with Macayla. I would never give her away to a husband. I would never give her and her husband a toast at their wedding. I would never see her bring children into the world. I would never be a granddad to her children. There are no guarantees for anything, but I felt that loss and grieved. Macayla will not be there for her wedding. But Jesus reminded me of the wonderful imagery and metaphor in Scripture of Him as the bridegroom and we who are believers all together make up the bride. He reminded me of the fact that when we are his, we are united in a covenant relationship forever. As I thought about all of the imagery of the great wedding feast that is to come as we, the bride, are joined to Christ the bridegroom forever, I realized that Macayla will play a part in that marriage soon. Barring any miracles, she will soon walk down the eternal isle to meet the groom, Christ. I will be able to give her away to the best groom that ever existed. Then one day, when I see her again at the great wedding feast that is heaven, I will have that dance. In the meantime, she and I will practice our steps because the here and now is where we prepare for the eternal.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff,
    I enjoy reading you blog so much! You are such a gifted writer, keep it up!
    Lindsay Metcalf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lindsay. Thank you for remembering us and for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your current "dance" with Macayla is sweeter and more precious than any dance that a dad has with his daughter! She is blessed to have such a special father on earth and such an incredible Father in heaven! Both are watching over her with love.

    ReplyDelete