Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Nothing Easy About Nothing Special

It is amazing how some of the smallest things can be the toughest. I saw a photo today of Macayla and it was not from any special occasion. It was not from a vacation, birthday or family get-together. It was just a photo of Macayla in her chair on a normal day. It was even from several years ago. It was nothing special, but it was hard on the heart.
This photo that was nothing special suddenly became special and difficult to bear. We have been very busy lately and our emotions cannot always keep up. But they caught me today. How I miss her so. I miss being able to draw that smile out of her, but also how beautiful she was even when she didn't smile at all. I am so glad I got snapshots of both. My photography never could capture the full essence of her expressions, but they at least captured enough to keep the memories close. I know she is healed now, but I still want her back. It is selfish. But Christ has her and He has us too.

So, be sure to take plenty of photos, both with a camera and your memory. Take some snapshots. Some of the best pictures are never posed or planned. The same goes for memories. Just let the shutter fly. It's hard to remember sometimes. After a loss, there is nothing easy about those "nothing special" memories. But I never want to forget!

1 comment:

  1. My family gives me grief because of the amount of photos that I am constantly taking. Thank you for affirming that this is important to remember all of those "special" times that may not be special until a later time.

    ReplyDelete