Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Dodge-Devouring Dachshunds

The more I ponder this, the more I am amazed at the fact that a 9 pound dachshund can totally disable a 2,000 lbs Dodge van. That is what is so annoying. My weakness is that when little things go wrong, I become a lot less Christ-like. I seem to handle major catastrophes better than little problems. It seemed that everything went downhill after the wiener attack. Because we had to drive to get another car late in the evening in the rain, that put the kids and us going to bed much later than normal. To add insult to injury, all of the excitement helped us forget to give Macayla her meds until we got back. This meant she fell asleep much later and then slept much later the next morning. This made us late, but it looked like we were going to make it out the door on time anyway. That was until Macayla had a bad diaper. So, that put us behind and we didn’t have time to make it to the lab to draw blood before going to the eye doctor. So, I got her to the eye doctor and gave her medication and some breakfast. In the meantime, the van was not repaired until yesterday because I have no way to safely secure Macayla while I worked on it until Jenny got home, but by then it was too dark outside to see. All of this along with a laundry list of other things exposed my less desirable character traits. I find myself relating to the van. Some of the smallest things can bring me to a halt. Mole-hills become mountains. Dachshunds become devastating. This is something I pray for God’s grace to overcome. But it does make me feel even more foolish to realize how much this situation has exposed this weakness. At the same time I guess I should be thankful that the Spirit is showing it to me. Maybe there is an opportunity for Him to show His strength in my weakness. In the meantime, I believe that the “Truth in Advertising” statutes of this country should require Dodge to come up with a more truthful sales campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment