Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

I Wish I Could Make It All Better

Macayla has struggled with a lot of mucus and drainage in her nose and throat for over a week. It seems to be some kind of crude she passed on to me. But she can't process the drainage in her sinuses like most people can so she gags and chokes frequently. It's worse during the night. We suction her and at times get nothing out, even when I run the tube through her nasal cavity. Other times, we get a ton of gunk out and she clears up for a few minutes only to do it all over again. Mucinex and other meds have minimal impact. This is when I wish we had little nano-bots armed with nano-shopvacs that could maneuver their way through the sinus cavity and systematically remove all mucus and gunk. (Sci-fi medicine!)

I know how frustrated I get when I can't seem to get my throat cleared, but for the most part I can usually clear it. Macayla does not have the capability to clear her throat. Occasionally, she gets a good swallow in, but that is not always effective. We spray saline into her passages to try and loosen everything up and then suction, but it is an ongoing process. I know she must get frustrated by it, but she is such a good patient. She still smiles in the midst of all this. I just wish I could make it all better.

No comments:

Post a Comment