Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Friday, May 28, 2010

I Knew, But Now I KNOW

I've been to multiple funerals. Some have been close family, others just friends. I have always known the "wake," "visitation" or "receiving friends and family" portion of the funeral was an opportunity for the family to experience the comfort of others' presence. I always knew it was meant as an opportunity for others to view the body and have their own moment of closure.

I knew this, but now I KNOW in a new way. When we woke up yesterday morning, I told Jennifer I did not want to do this. I did not want to go to the funeral. I did not want to see Macayla's body again. I did not want to be around anyone. But she reminded me I had to. Macayla's life had a purpose and so did her funeral. We could not let her down. I felt drained of energy even before the day started, but after seeing all of the people come in and having the opportunity to interact with as many as we could, I was refreshed. There was no one phrase, cliche, or phrase that did it. It was simply the presence of all the people who love us and Macayla. It was the overwhelming work of God's grace through a crowd of love.

One of the last couples I spoke with had also lost a child some years ago. I shared this with them. I shared that I finally understood how this portion of a funeral worked. I came in depleted and left for the worship serviced recharged. They relayed a very similar experience with their daughter's death years ago. On top of that, we continue to sort the almost two hundred email messages, many cards and the endless supply of food! We are loved and we love all of you for being here.

When Macayla was born, I thought of a possible wedding in the future. Praying for the right man for her. Praying we could pay for the wedding! Praying I could be there to see it. I thought about the day I would walk her down the aisle. Yesterday, I walked my little girl down the aisle. Not the way I expected or wanted. But I took her to the Groom of grooms. Her mother and I gave her away to the best. The Bible speaks in metaphors of Jesus as the groom and the Church as His bride. Macayla had to leave us, but she has cleaved to Christ in the fullest way possible. Thank you all for being a witness and support to Macayla's life and transition to a new life. Thank you all for your prayers and support over the years. Thank you all for just being there, in presence, prayer and thoughts.

Macayla still has a few more things to say. As the next couple of weeks unfold we will try to share those messages. We are still digesting the last two weeks and there are both some medical lessons we can share on the Uncommon Needs blog as well as some testimony to how this process impacts our family and others. Stay Tuned! We love you.

5 comments:

  1. Jeff I just wanted to express to you what an AWESOME service that was yesterday! That was the most relaxed and pleasant funeral I have ever attended! You all really outdid yourselves!! Everything was so tasteful and creative! I have been telling others about the funeral! We love you guys and you will continue to be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff & Jennifer,
    The service was a glorious celebration of Macayla's life but more a celebration of God's grace throughout her life. Thank you for your faithfulness to Christ through this chapter of your lives. Thank you for letting us walk with you, if only from a distance.
    The story is just beginning,
    Janet & Matt Roller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, Jennifer & Jacob,

    At the risk of sounding "cliche"...Macayla's service was truly awesome! While my heart ached and still does for my brother, from whom I was somehow separated at birth (and his whole family), I found great peace and comfort through that worship service yesterday.

    I couldn't help but see all the love and care you all put into the planning and implementation of the receiving, and, no doubt, the worship service. I am certain that at some point in the next few days, you will all feel as if you've been hit by a speeding freight train-understandably so.

    Know this--I believe in my heart that the reason Macayla lived with Battens on this side of the Jordan as long as she did is because two loving parents and a brother created an environment of love, care and compassion that provided a level of comfort and peace for her...even in the midst of great suffering.

    Your living witness to the mighty power of God and God's beautiful grace is the most powerful I've ever seen.

    God has used, is using, and will continue to use you all in mighty ways! I never desire to know firsthand the pain you have lived in. My prayers continue to surround your grief.

    Yesterday at the cemetery, I picked up Jacob and gave him a very tight squeeze/hug and told him that his "uncle" loved him. When I put him back down, he looked at me and said, "Wow! You're really strong!" My reply to him, with a sincere smile..."No where near as strong as you are buddy!"

    You are all very strong in the Lord! Thank you for showing this minister of the gospel what the Gospel looks like when it is enfleshed!

    I love you all very much. Grace, Peace and Prayers-Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful way to say that Jeff, About walking down the aisle. That was beautiful to read.

    Michelle j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David and Linda6:49 PM, May 30, 2010

    I cried on Thursday when we could not be there and was out of sorts all day. The I was separated from my computer until today - and I cried again. Jeff - we love your family and you are all so strong. We are fortunate that our lives touched yours for a little while and we had the chance to know the special children that are Macayla and jacob.

    ReplyDelete