Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Monday, May 24, 2010

The Post I Never Wanted To Make...but

Macayla Grace Smoak died May 22, 2010 in her home with her family around her. It was not only the day she was born, but the day she was reborn into a new body and life. There is no more Battens disease for Macayla.

We will have a gathering of friends and family on Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 1:00 p.m. at Edwards Road Baptist Church in Greenville, SC. The celebration of her life will follow in the same place at 3:00 p.m. Burial will follow at Woodlawn Cemetery on Wade Hampton Blvd in Greenville, SC. Macayla is survived by her parents, Jennifer and Jeff Smoak and her younger brother, Jacob. Her grandparents are Brenda and Keith Scott, the late Tony Foster, Harriet Wood, Rodney and Barbara Smoak. The funeral will be CASUAL ATTIRE! That's right, you read correctly, CASUAL attire.

Please, let everyone know that instead of flowers, we would like folks to use that money for things that have great impact on others. Give it to any one of the following: Family Connection of South Carolina, the Make-A-Wish Foundation of SC, Camp New Hope, Hospice of the Upstate, Electric City Fellowship, or Edwards Road Baptist Church in honor of Macayla. You can follow these links and see how to do this.

Thank you all for your prayers and support. This is the one post I never wanted to make. This is the one post I never want anyone to make. But this post is not without hope. This post lets others know that there is a celebration coming on Thursday. It is a celebration of life. Macayla's death is hard, because her life is so amazing.

It is hard because for her to remain means she would continue to have impact on others here. For her to go means she is with Christ and free of the horrible disease that is a product of a fallen world. Do not pity her for she is free. She is whole. She was blind but now she sees. She was lame but now she walks. She was tired, but now she is at rest! She will not come back to us, but, if we know Christ as our Lord, we will go to her someday. We love her. We miss her. I keep checking my watch and walking back to her room to check on her. But she is not there. She does not need to be checked on any longer! No more meds. No more formula. No more needles. No more pain. I never wanted to make this post, but I've always wanted her to be whole and healed. Now she is.

10 comments:

  1. Well said Jeff! Michelle J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David and Linda8:12 PM, May 24, 2010

    People will continue to benefit from the wonder of her life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a better person for the time you all allowed me to have with her and you. In my mind,I will forever reserve friday as "Spa day".You are in my thoughts and prayers. She is in my heart forever! Donna M.RN

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a strong Jewish belief that only the most blessed people die on their birthdays. Though I am not Jewish, I am inclined to believe them having read about your precious daughter.

    My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, I have been captivated by your blog for years and today's entry is no exception. You have an amazing gift in telling Macayla's story. So many people have had their faith in Christ strengthened because of Macayla and her incredible family. I am so proud to call you friend. Seth and I won't be able to attend Macayla's service and I am heartbroken about it. Not because you need me there. I have a feeling that ERBC will be packed with people that have been touched by Macayla. Rather, I could really use a hug from both you and Jennifer right about now. I love you more than you know! --Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys have really been on my heart. I was so moved to pray for you all last week, having no idea what was going on. The Lord is faithful...
    I was in Florida praying for you, not even knowing why, then I returned home to your very sad but joyful news.
    Precious Makayla is whole again! I know heaven is happy to have her, but I know this world will forever miss her.
    Her joy and your family's faith will continue to touch others, even though she's no longer with us.
    I consider myself blessed to have met her in this life and look forward to seeing her in the next.

    With love and prayers,
    Vicki Randolph (a Camp New Hope friend)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jeff, Jennifer, and Jacob,
    ...We send our love and prayers to you. Our hearts ache for you as you miss your little girl, daughter, sister, and friend. Yet, our hearts rejoice for the victory for Macayla. We are grateful that her struggles & trials are no longer. We pray for you -yesterday, today, and for the tomorrows. We wish we could be there Thursday and celebrate with you-your precious Macayla. We love you.

    Yours in Christ,
    Hobbi, Leslie, Hannah, Christian, Natalie, and Samuel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jeff, Jenny, Jacob and Family members,
    My heart goes out to each of you as you grieve the loss of your precious little girl. I remember years ago when Barbara came to work after Christmas break and told me about Macayla's condition with tears streaming down her face. I've read your blog many times throughout the years and have been amazed by your strength and faith in God. I remember watching Jenny walk Macayla down the aisle at Tina's wedding. She was so beautiful. Macayla has touched the lives of so many people, even people like me that have watched from a distance. She was truly a beautiful blessing. May God give you peace and comfort knowing that she's pain free and in the arms of Jesus. Ronnie and I extend our heartfelt condolences.

    In Christ,
    Bonnie and Ronnie Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am praying for your family. As our priest says, Macayla is taken care of...we are here for those left behind. May the memories of happy times together fill the void her entrance into heaven has left on earth. With love, Diane Furmanski

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff, Jenny and Jacob:
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You have a beautiful and loving family. Macayla's story is so inspirational and I know it has touched many lives because it has touched mine. You are not only a strong family but a family that is strong in the Lord.

    Sherry Munns

    ReplyDelete