Asking questions about God requires little. Finding the answers requires effort. Living with those answers requires grace.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Summer's Over

We spent the past week in Pigeon Forge with Jennifer's parents and my mom. It was a nice get-a-way and nice to be away from the house and Jennifer's work. Jacob and Macayla got to feed some goats and deer among other critters at a petting zoo. (Look for pictures soon!) Macayla did have her bout with seizures while we were there, but it was a good trip overall and a blessing. Jacob got some great quality AND quantity time with us as well. 
But this week, the kids go back to school. I admit that I am very ready for it. Having both of them home all summer has been great but it is hard work. The other day, I realized how wrapped up I have been when I looked at my journal and blog. It has mostly been event recording and very little reflection on what God has been doing in our lives. We have been adjusting to these seizures over the summer. We have been taking multiple trips. We have had plenty of family events and plenty of fun. Unfortunately, I have had little reflection on all of it. This morning we went to worship this God I have been distant from. We went to worship the Father I have ignored as I have stayed wrapped up in my own little world. 
This particular Sunday, they brought the children into worship during the music and they sat down at the front. Jacob was with them and they were clapping to the music. Jacob was off beat with his clapping, but it was earnest clapping! I suddenly realized that maybe I'm not as sophisticated as I like to think. Maybe as an adult, I can keep beat with a song better than a five year old. Maybe I can accomplish commendable things (humanly speaking) in a job or as a stay-at-home parent. But when the Father looks down, does He see me the child acting earnestly, but still off beat? Are all of our accomplishments simply child's play in this passing summer? I think when the full veil is pulled back and all is fully known, we will be amazed at what accomplishments we once thought so important were mere rubbish, while the things we considered small will be the most significant. One day, as Jacob grows more coordinated, he will clap in rhythm with songs better than he does now (unless, of course, he takes after me!) but I hope he claps just as earnestly as he does now when it is for the Father in heaven. I hope that in all my business; in the midst of all the things tugging for my time and energy, that I will do them in earnest acknowledgment of the Father. I pray that I will do them in earnest for His glory. Summer is over, but I pray it is the start of a fresh season of worship and warmth with the Father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment